Should we pray for money?First off, I don’t at all think that there is anything wrong with praying for money, but God has been revealing something to me that I think I need to share. The gist of this revelation is that money is just a means to an end and praying specifically for money sometimes (not always) is shortsighted. For example, in the past I have found myself praying for financial breakthrough so that I could buy a couch, or new appliances, or even to be able to go on a vacation. And God has surprised me in each case by providing for me WITHOUT actually giving me more money. You see, the Bible says that “God will provide all our needs according to his riches in glory” (Phil 4:19) Notice that it doesn’t say anything about money specifically. And all too often we are limiting God by just praying for money when He has so many other amazing ways that He wants to provide for us. You can watch Linda and I chat further about this idea in the video below…
How we should prayThere are actually a lot of financial scriptures and Bible verses about money, and when we are praying for financial help the best thing we can do is to be praying specific Bible verses. God said it after all, and by praying His promises we are reminded of the truth of His word which will build our faith in the process.
Prayers for financial breakthroughThe short prayers below are basically rewording of Bible verses in prayer form. I pulled together some of my favorite encouraging financial Bible verses and created a couple prayers from it. I encourage you to personalize them and make them your own and just use my financial prayers below as a starting place.
Download the FREE printable PDFJust enter your info below to download the printable PDF containing the sample financial prayers and scriptures to pray.
God, I thank you that your word says that you will supply all of my need according to your riches in glory. Since you are the same yesterday, today, and forever I can trust that since you have been faithful to a thousand generations you will be faithful to me and will never leave me or forsake me.
God, I know that earthly fathers even know how to give and provide for their children, so as my Abba Father how much more do you love to give good gifts to your children? You are my God who provided for thousands with just a few loaves and fishes in such abundance that everyone ate to their fill and there were even leftovers! And I know that you provide an abundance for every good work and that you never cease to feed the birds, and so of course I am more valuable than they are!
God, your word says that as I seek first your kingdom and your righteousness you will provide everything I need. Thank you Jesus that you came to give me life to the full and that you can do immeasurably more than I can ask, think or imagine according to the power at work in me.
I ask that you give me wisdom to steward the resources you have given me well! Help me to learn the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want just like Paul did.
God, I know You can do all things, and that I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength. I want to get out of debt, but I need Your help. Lead me by Your wisdom as I begin this journey. Help me change my habits and my mindset. Work through me and others so I can eliminate all of my debt. Lead me to a place where I can be in a position to give more to others.
Don’t put your trust in prayerThat sounds funny, but there is a distinction. You see, it is possible to download these financial prayers and try to use them
Financial scriptures to prayThese are the scriptures from the Prayer for finances above. I encourage you to download this list, print it off and continue to pray these scriptures each day. As you do, your faith will grow. Remember, faith comes by hearing and hearing the word of God! So continuing to read, speak, pray, and meditate on financial scriptures will build your faith.
- And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus. Phil 4:19 (NIV)
- I was young and now I am old, yet I have never seen the righteous forsaken or their children begging bread. Psalm 37:25 (NIV)
- Know therefore that the LORD your God is God; he is the faithful God, keeping his covenant of love to a thousand generations of those who love him and keep his commandments. Deut 7:9 (NIV)
- Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him! Matt 7:9-11 (NIV)
- Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life? Matt 6:26-27 (NIV)
- Taking the five loaves and the two fish and looking up to heaven, he gave thanks and broke the loaves. Then he gave them to the disciples, and the disciples gave them to the people. They all ate and were satisfied, and the disciples picked up twelve basketfuls of broken pieces that were left over. Matt 14:19-20 (NIV)
- And God is able to make all grace abound to you so that always having all sufficiency in everything, you may have an abundance for every good deed. 2 Cor 9:8 (NASB)
- But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Matt 6:33 (NIV)
- You will be blessed when you come in and blessed when you go out. Deut 28:6 (NIV)
- If you are willing and obedient, you will eat the good things of the land. Is 1:19 (NIV)
- The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full. John 10:10 (NIV)
- I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. Phil 4:12 (NIV)
- Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us Eph 3:20 (NIV)
Praise Him in the midst of it allWhen battling financial challenges it is easy to get so focused on the pressing need that we lose sight of how good our God is. Trust me, I have been there. But the best thing we can do is to stop focusing on how big our money problems are and focus on how big our God is. I love what this verse from Habakkuk says:
Though the fig tree does not bud and there are no grapes on the vines, though the olive crop fails and the fields produce no food, though there are no sheep in the pen and no cattle in the stalls, 1yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will be joyful in God my Savior. Habakkuk 3:17-18 (NIV)And while it definitely isn’t easy at all, I think it pleases God so much when we can be standing in the middle of a battle and keep our eyes fixed on Him.