It never ceases to amaze me how relevant the Bible still is even with some of the books being thousands of years old.
Solomon said there is nothing new under the sun and he was right.
Methods may change, but thousands of years ago people were still people dealing with issues just like we do.
I did some digging to find some scriptures about business, because I want to do business the right way.
So whether you are a business owner, an employee of a business, or just buy stuff from businesses (that covers just about all of us – right?) there is some wisdom to be received from these scriptures.
Free PDF Download
If you would like to download (and print off) the 24 Bible Verses about business, just click here for an immediate download!
Click Here to get the PDF!
Scriptures about Business
1. The Lord God took the man and put him in the Garden of Eden to work it and take care of it. – Genesis 2:15 NIV
2. Six days do your work, but on the seventh day do not work, so that your ox and your donkey may rest, and so that the slave born in your household and the foreigner living among you may be refreshed. – Exodus 23:12 NIV
3. He has filled them with skill to do all kinds of work as engravers, designers, embroiderers in blue, purple and scarlet yarn and fine linen, and weavers—all of them skilled workers and designers. – Exodus 35:35 NIV
4. Do not defraud or rob your neighbor. Do not hold back the wages of a hired worker overnight. – Leviticus 19:13 NIV
5. Do not have two differing weights in your bag—one heavy, one light. Do not have two differing measures in your house—one large, one small. You must have accurate and honest weights and measures, so that you may live long in the land the Lord your God is giving you. – Deuteronomy 25:13-15 NIV
6. If I have denied justice to any of my servants, whether male or female, when they had a grievance against me, what will I do when God confronts me? What will I answer when called to account? – Job 31:13-14 NIV
7. They were all trying to frighten us, thinking, “Their hands will get too weak for the work, and it will not be completed.” But I prayed, “Now strengthen my hands.” Nehemiah 6:9 NIV
8. Good will come to those who are generous and lend freely, who conduct their affairs with justice. – Psalm 112:5 NIV
9. Poor is he who works with a negligent hand, but the hand of the diligent makes rich. – Proverbs 10:4 NIV
10. The Lord detests dishonest scales, but accurate weights find favor with him. – Proverbs 11:1 NIV
11. A sluggard’s appetite is never filled, but the desires of the diligent are fully satisfied. – Proverbs 13:4 NIV
12. Dishonest money dwindles away, but whoever gathers money little by little makes it grow. – Proverbs 13:11 NIV
13. Better a little with righteousness than much gain with injustice. – Proverbs 16:8 NIV
14. The plans of the diligent lead to profit as surely as haste leads to poverty. – Proverbs 21:5 NIV
15. One who oppresses the poor to increase his wealth and one who gives gifts to the rich—both come to poverty. – Proverbs 22:16
16. The craving of a sluggard will be the death of him, because his hands refuse to work. – Proverbs 21:25 NIV
17. Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness, his upper rooms by injustice, making his own people work for nothing, not paying them for their labor. – Jeremiah 22:13 NIV
18. For Scripture says, “Do not muzzle an ox while it is treading out the grain,” and “The worker deserves his wages.” 1 Timothy 5:18
19. “So I will come to put you on trial. I will be quick to testify against sorcerers, adulterers and perjurers, against those who defraud laborers of their wages, who oppress the widows and the fatherless, and deprive the foreigners among you of justice, but do not fear me,” says the Lord Almighty. – Malachi 3:5 NIV
20. Whoever can be trusted with very little can also be trusted with much, and whoever is dishonest with very little will also be dishonest with much. – Luke 16:10 NIV
21. And masters, treat your slaves in the same way. Do not threaten them, since you know that he who is both their Master and yours is in heaven, and there is no favoritism with him. – Ephesians 6:9 NIV
22. Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters . . . . – Colossians 3:23 NIV
23. Masters, provide your slaves with what is right and fair, because you know that you also have a Master in heaven. – Colossians 4:1
24. Look! The wages you failed to pay the workers who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord Almighty. – James 5:4 NIV
Do you know any other bible verses about business or work that you want to add?
That’s quit the list. Thank you for getting back to the Word. I appreciate your writing here and know it’s grounded in the Bible. It’s wonderful to actually see the passages quoted now and then, though, to back everything up.
So many people talk about trying to keep the Gospel relevant. As you showed, it’s not that difficult. Quote Scripture for crying out loud! :>)
-Marshall Jones Jr.
[email protected] says
He has filled them with skill to do all kinds of work as craftsmen, designers, embroiderers in blue, purple and scarlet yarn and fine linen, and weavers—all of them master craftsmen and designers.”
We can see the reality of this all around. We all have different skills sets and desires to pursue certain careers. While we might think this is completely our exercising our free will, it does seem that we’re pre-positioned to enter certain fields.
The converse–also as evidence–is when you see someone working in a career they obviously aren’t suited for. It’s usually a sad situation.
It really creates an imperative to finding what it is we’re best suited to do, and that is desire as well as ability. In fact, ability often rises to the level of desire.
Michael Holmes says
“It never ceases to amaze me how relevant the Bible still is even with some of the books being thousands of years old.” You’re not the only one!!
I love the fact that I go to the Bible and get ANY solution to ANY problem. I’m glad He designed it like that! Not just a book or spirituality, but a book for everday living–The Book of Life!
JEAN LOUIS says
Yes indeed it has all the answers to any situation.
Thanks for the excellent list. I will use this in my bible study.
Thanks Kevin @Out Of Your Rut. Exodus 35:35 “he has filled them to do all kinds of work as craftmen…..all of them master craftmen and designers.” I have been in a job for the last year that suited most of our needs, but not what I am crafted at. And I have been very unhappy. I have had a opportunity to move back into the field that I love but it will also meet the financial needs and more for my family the only draw back is it will take more of my time because it will require more hours but I miss the beauty industry so much and I was good at it and feel this is the right move for me with the answer coming from God how could this be a bad move. I am just not cut out for a desk job. Thanks for Gods Word. It has help me to make a decision that I have been in prayer about for a few weeks so if they make the final offer I will go for it!! A sister with a solution!!! Polly
I am a nurse practitioner by profession & have the opportunity to move into the beauty industry. I was moved by your post/response. I found this thread because I have been doing some research on the company & was trying to remember a scripture about ‘knowing your craft well”. I can’t find it but your post spoke to my spirit so deeply. Are you doing well in the beauty industry? Are you happy?
Audrey Linton says
Hi just found this website as I googled scriptures for business. thank you for your tips Bob – but also remember Proverbs 31 from verse 10 to the end. One of the best scriptures about enterprise , leadership, worklife balance and customer service I have every read – so good that I named my company after it!
The LORD causes my thoughts to become agreeable to HIS will & so my plans are established & successfull Prov 16:3
Thanx Jerry for that scripture
I also appreciate the directive in Leviticus 19: 9 & 10. Paraphrased it tells us, “Do not wholly reap nor glean your own vineyard.” As a small business owner, I am always on the lookout for those areas where others can also benefit from the field God has given me to work. It’s fun to see all the people whose needs can be met by the same field!
Andre Lee says
John 9: 4 “I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day; the night cometh, when no man can work.”
Evelyn Twyman says
Im trying to start a homebased business here inIndianapolis a faith based, and I want to outreach to like minded people to proper in a honest constructive manner.
Robert E. Ross says
Good evening Evelyn – How are your prospects going with starting your home based business?
Joe Ham says
I was recently laid off from work. We have a small cleaning
business my wife and I are trying to get restarted. My commitment
to working by God’s word has been a blessing but has had it’s
consequences. We appreciate these verses to strengthen our
conviction and desire to keep God in the center of every aspect of
our lives. We are taking a leap of faith and believe God will honor
and bless our little business.
Sandra at Thistle Cove Farm says
Industry specific, but love the verses about being a shepherd and, specifically, Prov 31 woman…tending to business. We finished shearing last week, always a good thing, and God’s Word always has the answer, no matter the question.
Thank you for taking the time to look up these Scriptures that apply to the working world today. It is a great reminder of how our mindset should be godly in the workplace.
Deuteronomy 8:18 (NIV)
But remember the LORD your God, for it is he who gives you the ability to produce wealth, and so confirms his covenant, which he swore to your forefathers, as it is today.
God created us and gave us dominion and the ability to create wealth. This is one of the fundamental principles that makes Christian based capitalism. While wealth distribution does happen as we steward and deploy God’s resources, God want us to have dominion and create wealth to provide for our family, others, and for the future.
It is not you that worketh nor willieth, but God that showeth mercy” This is a site to visit… Love all the quotations
‘The blessings of God maketh rich and added no sorrow’
Ande Michael says
the bible is elixier of life what ever you need, want or serch for in life you will find it in between the pages just go in there with plain heart to learn and the answer will be shown to you in different ways.
Amy Skalicky says
Proverbs 16:3 Commit your work to the Lord, and your plans will be established.
Hobart Marietta says
Looking forward to reading more. Great post.Really thank you! Great.
7 Render to all what is due them: tax to whom tax is due; custom to whom custom; fear to whom fear; honor to whom honor.
8 Owe nothing to anyone except to love one another; for he who loves [a]his neighbor has fulfilled the law.
stay out of debt. its good for busnes
Jackie brown says
OMG Thank you for this Father God. Praying to you in the spirit is One of the greatest thing ever. In Jesus name Amen
Thank you dear Lord for all this great insight of wisdom. It is so great that you have packed your word with all that men and women desire to a fully maximised life. Bob I am blessed. Thank you for the scriptures