I am convinced that we are all just absolutely not catching the gravity of this concept of storing up treasures in heaven and if we did, we’d be living our lives a lot differently.
So I just did a little research pulling out the specific Bible verses and scriptures that reference this whole treasure in heaven idea that Jesus has told us about.
What Jesus said about Treasures in heaven
- Matthew 6:19-21 (NIV) “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.”
- Luke 12:33-34 (NIV) “Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will never fail, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.”
- 1 Timothy 6:17-19 (NIV) “Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment. Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share. In this way they will lay up treasure for themselves as a firm foundation for the coming age, so that they may take hold of the life that is truly life.”
- Matthew 19:21 (NIV) “Jesus answered, ‘If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.'”
- Mark 10:21 (NIV) “Jesus looked at him and loved him. ‘One thing you lack,’ he said. ‘Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.'”
- Luke 18:22 (NIV) “When Jesus heard this, he said to him, ‘You still lack one thing. Sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.'”
What Paul said about treasure in heaven
And I believe Paul the Apostle is referring to this as well in Phillipians 4:17…
“Not that I desire your gifts; what I desire is that more be credited to your account.“Phil 4:17 NIV